What are we doing for lunch today?

"Come on guys, it's Friday. Let's go to Upstairs" - T. Koop

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Centro Trattoria Formaggi

Today I assbiked up to St.Clair and Dufferin to Centro. Centro is an Italian grocery store with a cafeteria at the back where old Italian ladies cook up homestyle meals.

Ian showed me the place and I've been there and had the veal, but a place like Brasiliano does just as good a veal with some sides for a bit less price. Centro does have a lot of other authentic Italian type stuff Brasiliano doesn't.

I went for the cannelloni, which was stuffed with basil and ricottta, and the caprese. I also tried the tripe, which Ian's dad is nuts about; and now I see why. The tripe is stewed up in a really tasty anchovy sauce.



Usually when I cook Italian type dishes, I get really strong flavours. Everything at Centro is really tasty, but the flavours are subtle, not overpowering -- and not salty like a lot of Portuguese places are. My impression is that it really is homestyle Italian cooking.

The canneloni was good, but the tripe was INCREDIBLE. So good. Next time I will go for a tripe plate. They usually pair it with rice or a less fancy pasta and green salad.

Because I deviated from the menu format and got caprese and tripe on the side, it added up and came to $12 w. drink. Typically two cannelloni, or a veal plate is about $6-7. Each side was another $2-3.

For the record the back room cafeteria is open everyday, though Saturdays are probably the busiest and it's closed Sundays.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home