What are we doing for lunch today?

"Come on guys, it's Friday. Let's go to Upstairs" - T. Koop

Thursday, May 11, 2006

New York Subway

Yesterday we went to New York Subway, a confused little place on Queen W, bit east of Bathurst. This place serves up burritos filled with non-traditional stuff like curried cauliflower. I had a "jumbo satay chicken burrito" which was grilled marinated chicken with lettuce and tomato wrapped up in a tortilla shell - $5.49 plus tax. The chicken sauce was spicy and kind of sour, almost like spicy ketchup but more spicy than ketchup. They also squirted on some weird caesar salad-tasting sauce. Despite the weirdness, the burrito was actually pretty tasty, although at the bottom, where all the sauces had pooled together, it kind of tasted like the "tomato" sauce on the pork chops at the House of Gourmet.

They have other jumbo burritos that are "grilled" for about a buck more - don't ask me what the difference is between the grilled ones and the satay ones. The normal size tortillas are about $3.50 each but I don't know how much smaller those are either. The jumbo burrito I had was enough for lunch but not huge. From looking at Now's cheap eats page I see that they have "California Rolls" which add cheese (and maybe more?) to the burrito.

Anyway, this place was weird but pretty tasty. I guess if I'm in the mood to walk all the way down to Queen, I might check it out again.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home