What are we doing for lunch today?

"Come on guys, it's Friday. Let's go to Upstairs" - T. Koop

Monday, May 08, 2006

Spicy Food Craving

I've been on a roti kick for the past week. So I tried out a few different places in that time. A roti basically consists of a flatbread that has ground up chickpeas in the middle wrapped around some filling.


Roti Palace
: (Bathurst near Harbord) The goat roti was $6, about medium size. The boneless goat curry filling was nice and saucy and medium spicy. Note that a lot of places have bones in the goat roti, which must be a real pain. Really flvourful. The roti was folded over many times, so there was a lot of layers of roti bread. I would go back.

Pam's Caribbean Kitchen: (Bloor near Ossington) This is a tiny ass place and the prices are a bit higher than Roti Palace. Chicken roti is $6.50 and the others are $7-8. I went for the chicken. It was pretty big, maybe 50% bigger than the roti palace roti, the filling was chicken and potato curry, okay, but not mind blowing, not that spicy but there was hot sauce available. It's really not fair to compare the rich taste of goat to chicken though. It came with some lettuce, but no dressing or anything (why bother?). I'd go back to try some of the other dishes. Chicken and Rice+peas is $5 and there are other weekly specials.

Sunday I was jonesin' for a spicy lunch. Roti palace was closed, Pam's was closed, and another place I'd scouted on Dovercourt north of Bloor was also closed. But I knew there was a Garvey's Jerk at Bloor near Dufferin, so that's where I ended up. Instead of roti I got a goat curry on rice+peas. Pretty decent portion size, but it comes in a styro container and you eat with plastic utensils and a little coleslaw onthe side. It realy hit the spot. Rich, rich flavour and they had the hot sauce to spice it up.

Conclusion: The only thing I can conclude is that west-indian food is always good. I can't really say there's a big difference between the different places I've tried, but in general it's a bit more expensive ($7-10 for a dish) and the portions sizes a bit smaller than other types of food in the same niche and dishes almost never include extras (eg. if you order a roti you just get the roti and nothing else) which means the bill can add up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home