What are we doing for lunch today?

"Come on guys, it's Friday. Let's go to Upstairs" - T. Koop

Monday, May 08, 2006

Baked fish

Tonight I cooked up some frozen sole fillets in the oven. I was inspired by that fish sandwich that Amit made, but I cooked it up a little differently. I threw the fish in a glass dish with some olive oil and lemon juice, covered it with aluminum foil, and baked it in the oven for about 10 minutes. In the meantime, I cut up some onions, red pepper, and tomato. When the 10 minutes were up, the fish was still pretty transparent. I guess if you defrost the fish first, you can probably skip the first 10 minutes. I took it out and added the veggies as well as some lemon zest, salt and pepper, and thyme. Covered it again and cooked it for another 10 minutes, then removed the foil and cooked for 5 minutes more. It turned out really well. Covering the fish allows it to steam so you don't dry it out, and that blend of vegetables worked well. I used the juice of half a lemon, which was quite a bit, and that also helped to get rid of any fishy taste. Served it with rice. I'd make it again - the whole thing took about 30 minutes including the time it took to preheat the oven.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 12:48 AM, Blogger Amit said…

    With the frozen sole fillets I find the baking time is 25-30 mins at a pretty high temp. (like 400 degrees).

    For some reason i settled on 28 mins, but that's kinda arbitrary.

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger Tim said…

    Yeah, that just about agrees with what I observed yesterday - the sole ended up being in the oven at 400 F for about 25 mins. I don't know if covering with foil did anything but the idea was to keep it from drying out (and creating some sauce to go with the rice).

    The fillets actually smelled a bit fishy out of the freezer, but after being cooked, they turned out not to be too bad at all.

     
  • At 12:36 AM, Blogger Amit said…

    saturday i baked up some REAL SOLE. first off the sole fillets were a lot smaller and not as white as the basa fillets. i only baked them for about 10 mins with some lemon juice, olive oil and pepper.

    they were a teeny bit fishy (whereas the basa was not fishy at all), but still very good. i put them on a soft kaiser with some relish.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home