What are we doing for lunch today?

"Come on guys, it's Friday. Let's go to Upstairs" - T. Koop

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Crostini Party

Okay the food blogging has taken a hit since I've been camera-less for a week or so, but here's one easy meal I've been making lately.

This relies heavily on the George; the iPod for food and there isn't much cleanup afterwards.

A simple meal is to make crostini, but as a meal, not just as an appetizer, and with more variations than the traditional (like bruschetta). I don't even know if it's technically crostini but that's what I'll call it for this purpose.



I slice a baguette lengthwise into 4-6" sections (like mini subs) drizzle with olive oil and toast or I grill it on the George. The tricks then is to have an assortment of toppings (fatty, smoky or pickley things make the best toppings).

Cheese (I usually use fresh cheese like queso fresco or morzarella)
Cold Cuts (I prefer Salami and proscuitto, I buy the meat sliced thin thin and then cut into strands)
Grilled vegetables (Something soft, mushrooms, zucchini, pepper)
Guacamole (Just avacado, lime and garlic)
Smoked Fish
Marinated Vegetables (Olives, artichoke hearts, peppers, onions)

I will usually combine one fatty topping with one salty or meaty topping and often there's garlic in the mix. Examples : Guacamole and slices of salami, cheese and artichoke heart.

I haven't tried it yet, but you could imagining setting out the toasted bread and all the toppings at a party and let peeps assemble their own.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home