What are we doing for lunch today?

"Come on guys, it's Friday. Let's go to Upstairs" - T. Koop

Monday, March 13, 2006

Taste Test: Korean Rice Drink

I went to Galleria, a Korean supermarket in Thornhill in search of some waffle cookies. I found those, and also picked up three different versions of Shikhye, or Korean rice nectar. From left to right, the brands are: Dongwon, Haitai, and Paldo.

The Dongwon was everyone's favourite. It had a clean, sweet taste. I thought it was almost fruity, and it was definitely "ricier." Very fresh tasting.

The Haitai had a strange thin film of white foam or bubbles on top. I thought it had a bit of a strange, metallic taste, but others didn't think so.

The Paldo was definitely the sweetest of the three. The taste was there, but overwhelmed by the sweetness. I guess it depends on what you want.

So, if you're in the market for some Shikhye, the recommendation here is to go for the Dongwon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home