What are we doing for lunch today?

"Come on guys, it's Friday. Let's go to Upstairs" - T. Koop

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Dupont BBQ Chicken


I pass by this place (1519 Dupont) all the time. It looks like just a dirty little storefront, but I always had the sneaking suspicion it was serving up some good food.

When Plan A (some German place in Etobicoke that serves up pork hocks) and Plan B (Piri Piri at Lansdowne and Dupont) were closed by 9:30-10 Wed. night we called an audible headed across the street (and a bit west) to Dupont BBQ Chicken (Churrasqueira).

Churrasqueira is Portuguese for damn tasty food.

Out front they have a bunch of steam tables, where shit is piled up willy-nilly behind totally dingy looking plexi-glass. They got chicken, veal (?), lasagna, rice, potatoes, you name it.



After a day of drinking like a mad fiend I was starving. So I pointed at pretty much everything and they piled it up high. Lasagna, chicken, potatoes, sausage, everything. My friend had a chicken plate, with again, pretty much all the sides he wanted.

But the big surprise is the pretty large rear dining area, which I had not even imagined in my wildest fantasies. And I swear it was full of Portuguese dudes in a heated argument about a card game or something. Apparently.

One dude was wearing a shiny shiny yellow bowling shirt, unbuttoned all the way, airing his hairy (and most likely sweaty) Portuguese torso in the very same atmosphere we ate our barbecue meats in.

All the food was incredibly good, and I doused it all in the organgey Portuguese hot sauce.

No one in the place spoke any English whatsoever, so when the old lady said something about drinks, I was totally unsuccsessful in getting a Diet Coke, the old lady just looked at me like I was from Outer-Space and brought over cans of Sumol.



I checked out the drink fridge. No Diet Coke, no Diet Pepsi, it's just Sumol .... or water. So I just had water.

The best surprise was the bill. Which looked like this:

Lasagna $7
1/4 Chicken $6

Apparently you only get charged for the biggest thing you eat.
I will def. be going back.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home